Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Civil Rights Triangle



American People #4: The Civil Rights Triangle 1963, by Faith Ringgold. 
Oil on Canvas 36 by 42 inches.  All rights reserved. 


"The Civil Rights Triangle referred to the church as both the power structure for change and its association with the white male establishment—whick together made up the top structure of the Civil Rights Movement.  By the time I came home at the end of the summer, these paintings were finished, and I was planning to do many more in this series.  Now I knew where my art was going.  I had so many ideas that I barely had time to execute them."
Taken from We Flew Over the Bridge by Faith Ringgold, Duke UP 2004 (145)

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a writer and a professor of English at the City College of New York, and the CUNY Graduate Center. My books include Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman (1979), Invisibility Blues (1990), Black Popular Culture (1992), and Dark Designs and Visual Culture (2005). I write cultural criticism frequently and am currently working on a project on creativity and feminism among the women in my family, some of which is posted on the Soul Pictures blog.